Courage and self-discipline – the samurai were driven by lofty virtues. The Pen of the Year 2019 was inspired by their era, spanning several centuries, by the aesthetics of their weapons and by their mindset. The black lacquered metal barrel of the Black Edition, with its decorative 24-carat-gold plating, evokes the elaborately ornate armor made from individual plates. The barrel made of dark-stained magnolia wood is reminiscent of the Samurais' long swords (katanas). Their sheath and handle were made of untreated magnolia wood.
- Type: Individually numbered writing instruments
- Barrel: Made of dark-stained magnolia wood featuring an engraving in 24-carat gold varnish; the quote "Today I win against myself of yesterday" is by Miyamoto Musashi
- Cap: A metal plate, engraved with the gold plated (24k gold) Japanese character for samurai, adorns the cap
- End Piece: Engraved with the symbol created by Musashi for the word tsuba (handguard)
- Coating: The cap and the handle are coated in ruthenium
- Nib Make: 18k Gold, Ruthenium-Plated, Inscribed by Hand
- Limited to: 400 pieces
- Exclusive, brightly polished black wooden box with an attractive brochure and a certificate of authenticity
- An additional insert offers space for six more writing instruments
Available Nib Sizes
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.